Re: Fixing the lm-sensors/i2c mess

(Gaah, stop reading my mail while on break and this comes up...)

Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:

>>> * Herbert Xu: Apply the upstream patches in
>>> http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/devel/i2c/
>>> to the kernel-source-2.4.22, and kernel-source-2.4.23 packages.
>> This totally breaks the i2c API is not an option for a 2.4 package.
> Yes, and it is totally an option for a 2.4 package.  Every 2.4.xx
> kernel version has broken APIs and ABIs.  :-P

I've thought of packaging the upstream's i2c-2.8 kernel patch, but it
does seem like a pain and I wouldn't have a good opportunity to test
it.  (As it is, I'm somewhat lacking opportunities to test lm-sensors
stuff, and I'd still be interested in foisting off the whole mess on
someone who does understand what they're getting into.)

> Perhaps a *separate* set of kernel-source-2.4.23-lm-sensors-compatible
> packages, since it is preferred not to break compatibility within a
> subminor version?  That seems reasonable.
>
> But if it's not acceptable, then one of the following needs to be done:
> * lm-sensors needs to be dropped for 2.4 kernels entirely (is that
> * acceptable to you?)
> * lm-sensors needs to document its incompatibility with ALL DEBIAN 2.4
> * KERNELS.  (Is that acceptable to you?)

"It's not incompatible; you just need to
'rm -rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/char/i2c' and hope you're not
using any other i2c-based drivers."

Maybe the best actual solution is to repackage lm-sensors 2.6.5,
patched to work around the constants-in-newlines problem; then we
could straightforwardly go back to having prebuilt kernel modules, and
while we'd have to rebuild dependent packages against libsensors1, at
least the world won't end the way it does now.

>> Adding the 'new' i2c code will just trade breakade with the lm_sensors
>> modules vs breakage with other i2c modules.
> Yep.  The 'new' i2c patches, however, are supposed to contain fixes
> for all the known drivers in the kernel tree which use i2c; did you
> even *look* at the page?  That doesn't sound like it will create
> breakage to me.

...but the patch would need to be integrated into the official Debian
kernel for it to be useful at all, and the last time the subject came
up Herbert Xu said no.

	-- Abra Mitchell