Re: Is #285371 really an exim problem, or is it gnutls failing?

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 02:32:28PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 10:19:32AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > * Andrew Suffield:
> >
> > > The security of the session is limited by the randomness of the
> > > weakest key used. If you're going to use /dev/urandom then you might
> > > as well just not encrypt the session at all.
> >
> > Could you provide some rationale for this claim, preferably based on
> > the kernel code which implements /dev/urandom?

[...]
> This is really elementary stuff. Even /Applied cryptography/-waving
> idiots should know it. I'm not going to write a lengthly essay on the
> difference between entropy and non-entropy.

Andrew, your statement "you might as well just not encrypt the session
at all" is plain wrong. Yes, urandom is not guaranteed to be 100%
random, it may degenerate to a simple pseudo-RNG. Still, it would be
extremely hard for an attacker to guess the state of this pseudo-RNG,
because it's shared between several processes retrieving and inserting
entropy. So, in the worst case, using /dev/urandom is as good as using
a pseudo-RNG with a hard-to-guess initial state. Which is much better
than no encryption at all, and sufficient for most real-world purposes.

Jan