Re: patch to update-rc.d

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Rajesh Deo wrote:
> I am currently developing a perl script that lists rc?.d
> configuration and you can find it here:
[...]
> README shows the typical usage and expected output. Also available
> is a patch to update-rc.d that includes the functions from the script.
[...]
> This enhances update-rc.d.pl to have a rc configuration listing
> functionality. It is however _not_ emulating Red Hat's chkconfig and is
> based on suggestions given in this discussion:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/12/msg00743.html
>
> It also lists active services in /etc/inetd.conf and
> /etc/xinetd.conf and /etc/xinetd.d. Apart from that it has a option that
> will sort a given rc?.d to present the complete execution order within
> that runlevel.

Please change that to two separate programs. It is not the place of
update-rc.d to get anywhere close to inetd.

Also, the output needs to be machine-parseable. Update-rc.d is for
maintaienr scripts, not the end-user (if it can be used by the end-user,
that's just fine).

Maybe you could write a good set of end-user tools to configure, list, and
work with the sysv-rc system AND with inetd and xinetd?  Those would be
quite welcome.

update-rc.d should be "phased out" of the current mixed usage of being a
"user admin tool" (which it was not meant to be, and update-rc.d sucks at
being such because of that) and a package-system tool.  It should be only a
package-system tool.

So, we need good user tools to work with the initscript system (maybe
interfacing to update-rc.d, maybe doing things directly as long as it has
some sanity checks to make sure it does not try to do the wrong thing on a
system that is using file-rc, for example).

> Any suggestions, comments and future directions are welcome. I am not a
> official debian developer but would love to become one in future, with
> appropriate guidance.

Have a look at
http://people.debian.org/~hmh/debconf2/debconf2-initscripts-bkg.ps.gz

That should give you some ideas, even if it is outdated now.

  Henrique Holschuh