Re: Do you want XFree86 working out of the box?

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:30:02PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Do you want a working XFree86 configuration out of the box, without
> having to answer questions about your hardware?
>
> Try to install xdebconfigurator,
> <URL:http://packages.debian.org/xdebconfigurator>, and see if it work
> for you?  To test it, install the package and run
>
>   xdebconfigurator && dexconf

What's the advantage of this over the current situation with the xserver
packages using discover, mdetect and read-edid to guess the hardware setup and
fill in the relevent debconf entries?

Are there plans to integrate this with the existing xserver package's debconf
setup (with the priority of the questions raised).

Such an inclusion would be superior for our users compared to having to remember
to install yet another package. I think your work on this is going to be
especially useful for the unattended installs Joey Hess has been working on with
preseed.

Cheers,

Rob
--