Re: Linux Core Consortium

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:59:05 +0100, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> LCC could concentrate on providing such a distribution-independent
> execution environment, and perform the necessary integration tests for
> commercially relevant distributions.
>
> Just an idea.  I think this is far more promising than lobbying
> distributions to delegate responsibility for core packages.

I very much I agree.

I'm totally confused by this whole thread.  What advantage - both in
compatibility and competitiveness - would LCC benefit any
distribution?

First I read that LCC is  a standards body (implying a *like* to have
feature set) next I read its a certification body (implying a *must*
have feature set) -- is RH/FC gonna change all their certifications or
will Debian change to conform to RH/FC testing?  Which Distribution
set the *standard* -- maybe I missed that?

Please understand, I'm not tryng to start a flame war but simply
trying to see what real tangible benefit to systems admins/developers
rolling out hetergenous architectures using RH/FC/SuSE/Debian...

Maybe the thread has went off topic and I got lost somewhere.
--
WC -Sx- Jones
http://insecurity.org/