Re: If you really want Free firmware...

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 03:51:43PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 08:57:20PM -0600, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> > And no, I can't confirm or refute the numbers, which is why *I* didn't
> > comment on whether they were realistic.  You might want to try that
> > sometime.
>
> I cannot figure out what mail you were reading.

The attributions were intact in my reply.

I guess I can help you out, though.  Let's see:

Bruce said, "My surmise is that we'd need an effort like that, raising
$250K..."

You said, "There is absolutely no reason why any money is needed for
this.  Design the damn thing..."

Hamish said, "Manufacturing an ASIC involves NRE...of hundreds of
thousands to millions per revision..."

You said, "Manufacturing an operating system involves NRE costs of
hundreds of thousands to millions per revision... you're quoting Redmond
propoganda..."  [This implied that Hamish's numbers were not valid.]

(This is the message you just replied to)
I said, "Do you have any actual hardware design experience to draw on
here...", in reply to your implication about Hamish's numbers.

Clear now?

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>