Re: udev.rules configuration

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 21:59 +0100, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> I am using udev since a few weeks for having dedicted mount points for usb
> devices. I added

Add site-specific rules to:
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules

"man udev" for the CONFIGURATION udev_rules section:
    The name of the udev rules file or directory to look for
    files with the suffix .rules.  All rule  files  are  read
    in lexical order. The default value is /etc/udev/rules.d/.

> ## USB disk
> BUS="scsi", SYSFS_vendor="USB 2.0*", NAME="usbdisk%n"
> ## Pentax Optio 33S disk
> BUS="scsi", SYSFS_vendor="Pentax", NAME="optio%n"
>
> which works fine.
>
> It is somewhat annoying that with each upgrade of udev, I get a conflict with
> this configuration file. Certainly, I want all the enhancements of your new
> version. What I do then, I answer get the package maintainers version and I
> add my few lines again and again.
>
> I am just wondering, if there is a better way to do what I intend. If not, do
> you think, it is worth to open a wishlist bug for that?
>

> Another side effect of udev I noticed is that it seems to hide
>
> /dev/isdninfo
>
> so I mount the udev file system now to /udev instead of /dev, such that other
> tools can still use /dev/isdninfo. For a complete bug report, see

> Thanks for keeping the package uptodate, even if I have to edit udev.rules
> frequently ;-)

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Pretty much, we've killed off the dumb ones, and we've got the
smart ones left."
A US soldier, regarding insurgents in Iraq, 2004-11-09