Re: Why firmware generally won't be Free Software

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 08:14:40AM -0800, Bruce Perens wrote:
> If we ask for the embedded programming in the devices to be open as
> well, we are essentially asking for the hardware design below the bus
> level to be opened. This is fine for a restricted subset of vendors that
> are designing explicitly for Open Source such as GNURadio and OpenCores.
> But most manufacturers won't go for it.

This is the argument that says free software is impossible. It's been
demonstrated to be bullshit. Come on, this argument is from the 1980s,
and your side *lost* in the real world. Free software is here.

We'll do it again if we have to. They can open their specifications or
we'll fucking implement around them and eventually drive them out of
the market.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |