Re: LCC and blobs

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 09:27:05PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 11, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
>
> > If the driver has to be able to open the file and read the blob so it
> > can send it to the device, there's a clear relationship and dependency
> > between the driver and the blob: if you don't have a copy of the blob,
> > the driver doesn't work.  (Spewing out "hardware error, firmware not
> > loaded" doesn't count to me as "working".)
> The driver is fully capable by itself of driving the device, which is
> what it is designed to do. The hardware device may not work, but this is
> not due to a failure of the driver in doing whatever it needs to do.
> So, for me this qualifies as "working".

Right.  A SCSI storage driver that's missing a few initialization commands
(because they were tucked off in an "optional" non-free library, perhaps)
works fine, too, then.  The drive may not work, but this is not due to a
failure of the driver in doing whatever it needs to do.

This "working" is contrived for the purpose of sidestepping the SC and
allowing non-free dependencies in main.

--
Glenn Maynard