Re: LCC and blobs

Tim Cutts wrote:

If Debian tries to be too rigid, we run a serious risk of consigning ourselves to history, because people just won't install Debian any more if it doesn't work out-of-the-box on most hardware - and the time is pretty much already here that most systems contain at least one component that loads firmware from disk every boot.

Of course, every time there has been any decision about including a piece of non-free software in main, we've had this same discussion. It's important for Debian to stand firm on this issue. If you want to distribute firmware, it really belongs in FLASH on your device, don't expect us to distribute it for you. Once it's in the device, it's below the demarcation of the bus programming interface, and thus outside of our domain.

   Thanks

   Bruce