Re: LCC and blobs

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:

> On Dec 11, Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>
>> > I know about no drivers which are useless without a non-free firmware,
>> > while I know about a huge number of hardware devices which are useless
>> > without a non-free firmware.
>
>> So the drivers without the firmware are usefull (i.e. make the
>> hardware work) but the hardware doesn't work without firmware
>> (i.e. make the driver fail)?
>>
>> You contradict yourself.
>
> No, I don't: the driver is the same with or without the firmware being
> uploaded to an external device, so if it does not physically change then
> its intrinsic usefulness cannot change.
> The driver does not "fail" if the hardware device is missing its
> firmware: it will merely report the device status, which is what it's
> designed to do.
>
> --
> ciao, |
> Marco | [9718 noDpxhxiwNll.]

I don't think device drivers are primarily designed to merly report
the device status but to actualy drive the devices functions. A driver
that merly says "device found without firmware loaded" is hardly
functioning nor usefull.

But that is purely an opinion and ultimately you have to convince
ftp-master where a package belongs and not me.

MfG
        Goswin