Re: LCC and blobs

(Please try to not Cc me on every reply. My messages even contain a
Mail-Followup-To header.)

On Dec 11, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:

> > And why it should be different if that firmware is distributed by the
> > manufacturer on a CD instead of a flash EPROM chip?
>
> Because in that case the manufacturer is hurting the user by not
> providing source, and we are against that.
So this is just your personal opinion, not something required by the
policy. Debian is pro and against many things, but I can't see a part of
the policy which requires removing free software from the distribution
to make a political point about software distributed by others.

> The case where the manufacturer hurts the user by hardwiring the
> program into an EPROM is also bad, but Debian is not here to work
> against that.
Why not? Your opinion again?
This looks very arbitrary to me.

--