Re: LCC and blobs

On Dec 11, Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Because the GPL says so. Distribution of firmware binaries under GPL is
> just not legal.
I do not believe that this is obvious. I understand that FSF disagrees,
and considers firmwares to be just "data".

> For 99% it doesn't have any effect. The number of drivers realy
> needing the blob is very small.
Not so small: the drivers for most WiFi network adapters, many bluetooth
adapters, all USB DSL modems, most (all?) DVB receivers, most 3D video
cards are just the ones I can think about right now.

--
ciao, |
Marco | [9703 ilLqSQlwJUtvw]