Re: Is Debian a common carrier? Was: package rejection

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 10:31 -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Tim Cutts <timc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
[snip]
> > To be honest I really don't see what the problem is here.  Content
> > which is illegal to distribute in pretty much any significant market
> > should be kept off the first CD, and probably shouldn't be in main.
>
> So that means that reference to US law certainly is relevant, since
> the United States is a "significant market".
>
> Never mind, the principle you suggest is not Debian's current rule,
> and if you want it to be adopted, you should follow the normal way,
> not just declare that it is somehow obviously the right rule.  So how
> about you take the discussion to debian-project where it belongs, and
> prepare a suitable GR or other policy instrument to change our
> policies, or lobby the release manager, or do one of those things?

Debian isn't Soviet Russia or the PRC or pre-war Afghanistan.
Calmly discussing peoples' "should" beliefs is a worthy task.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

[QUOTE]
Casey asked Johnson if doctors tell a woman that the abortion
procedure they might use includes "sucking the brain out of the
skull."
"I don't think we would use those terms," Johnson said. "I think
we would probably use a term like 'decompression of the skull' or
'reducing the contents of the skull.'"
The judge responded, "Make it nice and palatable so that they
wouldn't understand what it's all about?"
Johnson, though, said doctors merely want to be sensitive.
[/QUOTE]
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=7&;
u=/ap/20040401/ap_on_re_us/abortion_lawsuits_31