Re: package rejection

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:10:19AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> I think it would be better to create a distribution of Debian, where
> applicable, that meets the legal requirements of the given country.
>
> That way if you do really want to distribute Debian where there are
> laws against XYZ, you can distribute a subset of Debian that doesn't
> {do,use,require,consume,kill,display,say,etc} XYZ.

> This also raises lots of issues, like how to do it with minimum fuss
> and who is legally responsible (if anybody) if mistakes occur.

Also, in much of the civilised world, once you start doing this you
suddenly acquire a legal responsibility to do it *right*, which you
wouldn't have had if you hadn't tried to do it.

Censorship laws are strange like that.

[Not likely to be a problem for us as a project, but it might be for
people who do this sort of thing. Commercial publishers run into this
problem all the time and often decide it's safer not to bother]

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |