Re: charsets in debian/control

* Josselin Mouette (joss@debian.org) [041205 13:05]:
> Le dimanche 05 décembre 2004 à 11:43 +0100, Andreas Barth a écrit :
> > I think most of us agree that non-UTF-8-characters are not a good idea
> > (please note the UTF-8-characters is a superset of ASCII).  For some
> > places (like package names), I think most of us even agree that only
> > ASCII-characters should be used. Also, there is the proposal that in
> > other fields (i.e. names), an translation should (also) be used if the
> > characters are not in some basic classes (more or less: ASCII plus
> > ASCII-similar letters).
> >
> > So, I personally consider non-UTF-8-characters an bug, and
> > UTF-8-not-ASCII on the way from bug to allowed.
>
> Many of us have names that can't be written using ASCII. Furthermore,
> the Debian tools need consistency between the developer name in the
> changelog and the Maintainer/Uploaders fields in the control file. The
> only way for these developers to have a policy-compliant changelog
> without having their uploads considered as NMUs is to encode the control
> file in UTF-8.

Though I agree on your last statement (and please, remember, I'm from
germany where non-ASCII-characters are also in common use), I still
consider that UTF-8-not-ASCII has not finally reached ok, but it's on
the way to it (and I consider this a good thing).

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/