Re: charsets in debian/control

Le dimanche 05 décembre 2004 à 11:43 +0100, Andreas Barth a écrit :
> I think most of us agree that non-UTF-8-characters are not a good idea
> (please note the UTF-8-characters is a superset of ASCII).  For some
> places (like package names), I think most of us even agree that only
> ASCII-characters should be used. Also, there is the proposal that in
> other fields (i.e. names), an translation should (also) be used if the
> characters are not in some basic classes (more or less: ASCII plus
> ASCII-similar letters).
>
> So, I personally consider non-UTF-8-characters an bug, and
> UTF-8-not-ASCII on the way from bug to allowed.

Many of us have names that can't be written using ASCII. Furthermore,
the Debian tools need consistency between the developer name in the
changelog and the Maintainer/Uploaders fields in the control file. The
only way for these developers to have a policy-compliant changelog
without having their uploads considered as NMUs is to encode the control
file in UTF-8.