Re: Finding an improved release process.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 09:54:34AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 02:35:52PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> > Well, if people had been willing to maintain it, yes. But there didn't
> > seem to be any significant interest in doing so.
>
> On the other hand, it worked already.  We seem to decide we have to
> rewrite the installer from scratch for each new release, and it seems to
> slow us down each time.

But it barely worked already. There was no significant possibility to
add extra functionality, and there were no people interested in doing
so. Could we have released Sarge with boot-floppies? Possibly. But it
would have been a fairly miserable excuse for a distribution.

> This isn't to say that the d-i folks aren't doing a great job.  They
> are.  Just to say that we have something that works now, and using it
> for sarge would make sarge no worse than what we have now.

The current state of play is that d-i does a rather better job of
installing sarge than boot-floppies does, and supports more hardware in
the process.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org