(update) Re: RFC: common database policy/infrastracture

hi andreas,

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 10:36:15PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, sean finney wrote:
> >work, mostly on documentation.  i'll try and update the page this weekend.

and here's the update...

> I have two remarks while working through database-common-0.5:
>
>   1. IMHO it is not good to use the same default in the template for
>
>      Template: database-common/postgresql/dbname
>      Type: string
>      Default: ${pkg}
>
>      Template: database-common/postgresql/app-user
>      Type: string
>      Default: ${pkg}
>
>      There is no reason that ${pkg} is the default for dbname and
>      app-user.  I'd suggest to use a different variable here.  If not
>      at least the later template would be unuseable for me.

the default is to name the user and database after the package (though
the database name is munged slightly for mysql at least to strip
illegal characters).  if you want to provide a different default,
you can do that in your maintainer script by setting dbname="foo"
before includeing the maintainer script.  currently, i think that doing
that will prevent the user from being prompted at all, but it wouldn't
be too hard to come up with some way of doing this.  of course, this
begs the question why?

>   2. I did not found a template for the text which should be displayed
>      if the passwords for app-pass and app-pass2 should missmatch.
>      moreover it would probably a good idea to provide a shell function
>      which could be loaded by the configure script which consistently
>      handles password insertion.

this is in 0.6, along with slightly more robust behaviour across the
board.  lots of work is still needed, but it's at least presentable
at this point.  it does installs, upgrades, and removal.

so, the apt repositories are the same as before:

deb http://people.debian.org/~seanius/policy/examples/ ./
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~seanius/policy/examples/ ./

and the new documentation can be found at:

http://people.debian.org/~seanius/policy/dbconfig-common.html

as the href implies, the package name has been changed from
database-common to dbconfig-common.

shortly, i'll make an upload into experimental too.

	sean