Re: Question about maintaining the unofficial/parallel apache-lingerd package.

Alexis Sukrieh wrote:

> I'm maintaining an unofficial package, apache-lingerd [1].
> It's a new flavour of the official Debian apache source tree.
>
> As it won't be included in Debian,

Why not?  It looks to be of general interest, judging by the description
at the page in your footnote.

> and as some users requested me
> to maintain the package against the last sid packages, I'm a little bit
> confused :
>
> - If I make a package in my personal repository with a version number
>   higher than the official package, users can get confused with apt-get
>   upgrade (would upgrade to my apache package even if they don't want my
>   lingerd package).
>
> - If I use the same version number, it won't work.
>   Indeed, as every flavour, apache-lingerd depends on apache-common
>   which provides /usr/sbin/apache-modconf.
>   The official apache-modconf does not support apache-lingerd but
>   my version does.

IMO it would be less confusing if your source package did not generate
the same binary packages as the official apache package in the cases
where the code is the same (apache, apache-dbg, apache-perl, apache-ssl,
apache-utils, apache-common [excepting /usr/sbin/apache-modconf]).

My suggestion would be:

1) Have your source package create a binary package
"apache-modconf-lingerd", which Depends on apache-common; contains only
the modified apache-modconf binary (and required /usr/share/doc files);
and uses dpkg-divert to move the apache-modconf from apache-common out
of the way.

2) Have apache-lingerd depend upon apache-modconf-lingerd.

3) From your source package, generate only the apache-lingerd and
apache-modconf-lingerd binary packages.

As an additional benefit, in this way you no longer have to worry so
much about keeping version numbers in sync with the official apache
packages.

Good luck,

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544