Re: Question about maintaining the unofficial/parallel apache-lingerd package.

* Kevin B. McCarty (kmccarty@Princeton.EDU) disait :
> > As it won't be included in Debian,
>
> Why not?  It looks to be of general interest, judging by the description
> at the page in your footnote.

Thanks a lot, but the last discussion about the future of apache-lingerd
in Debian didn't sound that way : I've spoke with Fabio about this issue
and his advice was to ask for discussion on the debian-apache and
debian-users lists.

I did and get no feedback [1].

Then Fabio told me, with wisdom, that wanting to add apache-lingerd
in Debian, if nobody requests for it, is not a good thing.

Sadly, I completely agree with Fabio and am asking for feedback the more
I can, but currently, only one Debian user answered [2].

I've also found a spanish user of apache-lingerd [3] but dind't manage
to have some feedback directly from him...

1 : http://lists.debian.org/debian-apache/2004/10/msg00080.html
2 : http://lists.debian.org/debian-apache/2004/11/msg00068.html
3 : http://barrapunto.com/journal.pl?op=display&uid=22&id=8206

> My suggestion would be:
>
> 1) Have your source package create a binary package
> "apache-modconf-lingerd", which Depends on apache-common; contains only
> the modified apache-modconf binary (and required /usr/share/doc files);
> and uses dpkg-divert to move the apache-modconf from apache-common out
> of the way.
>
> 2) Have apache-lingerd depend upon apache-modconf-lingerd.
>
> 3) From your source package, generate only the apache-lingerd and
> apache-modconf-lingerd binary packages.
>
> As an additional benefit, in this way you no longer have to worry so
> much about keeping version numbers in sync with the official apache
> packages.

Wowh.

That's a great plan. I like it.
I will work on that solution and notify the list when I'm up.

Indeed, it's really hard to synchronize my
patched whole-debian-apache-source-tree with the official one ! :-/

Thanks a lot :)

See you...

Alexis.

--