Re: boot sequence of a Debian/unstable system

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 02:44:26AM +0000, Jochen Voss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Linux weekly news pointed me to the following interesting article:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-November/msg00561.html
> In this article Ziga Mahkovec gives a fancy graphical representation
> of the boot process of a Fedora Linux system: he displays the load
> and all processes run as a function of the time.

I also found that LWN article extremely interesting.

> Since I found this interesting I tried to generate a similar graphics
> for my Debian system.  The result is not as beautiful as Ziga's, but
> if you are interested you can find it at http://seehuhn.de/comp/bootlog.html .

Cool.

I wonder if it's really the same, you are including entering into the GNOME
desktop in the profile (there are processes such as the gnome-keyring
daemon and nautilus..), whileas Ziga did not (it stopped when Gdm was
started). Did you actually log in to the desktop environment?

I would like to see that same graphics with a standard Debian sarge
installation (i.e. just d-i with task 'desktop' installed and nothing
else). Your system does include some non-default stuff such as spamassasin,
apache2, ClamAV, and also nethack :-) which might not fit in what a
'standard' user (whatever that is) has installed in his system.

Could anyone do this with a standard installation? I think the results
might be enlightening...

Regards

Javier