Re: Updated SELinux Release

(...)
>  response 3: _is_ it the job of debian developers to dictate the minimum
>  acceptable security level?

yes, it is. But we have to weight in the needs of our users. We want, after
all, our operating system to be used in a large set of environments and
some of those might break when enabling SELinux (but we won't know until
it's enabled so it's kind of a loophole)

>  basically what i mean is, in gentoo, it's a no-brainer: you set options
>  at the beginning of your build, come back [2 weeks? :) ] later and you
>  have a system with PAX stack smashing, lovely kernel, everything
>  hunky-dory.

In Debian is also a no-brainer, or, really, a similar no-brainer to Gentoo:

1.- Download your favorite kernel-source package
2.- Download the ExecShield/Adamatix(PaX+RSBAC)/SELinux kernel-packages
(or upstream patches)
3.- Build with make-kpkg and pointing it to the patches so that they get
applied.
4.- Install the kernel and reboot

With sbuild/buildd etc you can actually recompile the whole distribution
with whatever options you want to (including a patched gcc) either in your
system or in a chroot.

>  debian doesn't GIVE users that choice [remember the adamantix
>  bun-fight, anyone?] and instead settles for about the lowest possible
>  common denominator - no consideration to modern security AT ALL!

Debian does provide choices, the Adamantix stuff is packaged in Debian (it
has seen few users, though). Debian does not yet provide packages compiled
with SSP (which would be the other difference with Adamantix currently) but
some people are working on in to find the best approach to that issue.

Maybe those choices are not sufficiently documented (or used) to be
mainstream, but choices are there and they are as no-brainer as having a
user compile the full Gentoo distribution.

Regards

Javier