Re: Updated SELinux Release

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 10:11:01AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 10:28 +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > > Why not on by default,
> >
> >  i would agree with stephen that it should be compiled in,
> >  default options "selinux=no".
>
> I don't believe Stephen said that.  He said that the performance hit in
> that case is just the LSM hooks.

 oh. yes.

> >  that gives people the choice,
>
> It doesn't make sense to make security a "choice".  The current Linux
> security model is simply inadequate.

 response 1: *shrug*.  that's their choice - and their problem.

 response 2: you don't have to tell _me_ that - i'm the mad one who is
 actively working on a debian/selinux distro!!! :)

 response 3: _is_ it the job of debian developers to dictate the minimum
 acceptable security level?

 basically what i mean is, in gentoo, it's a no-brainer: you set options
 at the beginning of your build, come back [2 weeks? :) ] later and you
 have a system with PAX stack smashing, lovely kernel, everything
 hunky-dory.

 debian doesn't GIVE users that choice [remember the adamantix
 bun-fight, anyone?] and instead settles for about the lowest possible
 common denominator - no consideration to modern security AT ALL!

> > without affecting performance.
>
> That's just a bug, and it's being worked on.

 cool.

> Personally I don't notice any performance problems.

 maybe it's just me with my weird setup [very likely], but
 running mozilla under KDE 3.3.0 with selinux 2.6.8.1-selinux1
 on a 256mb system P4 2.4Ghz) is a 10-11 second startup,
 whereas if i set selinux=0 i've seen as fast as a THREE second
 startup time.

 i've put KDE_IS_PRELINKED=1, KDE_FORK_SLAVES=1 into the
 /usr/bin/startkde and i've run prelink, but i have the nvidia drivers
 so the x-windows glx drivers are symlinks, which stops prelink from
 being able to do its job on them.

 also i recompiled kde 3.3.0 .debs with the latest gcc 3.3.

 so i'm not _entirely_ confident that my setup is a good example to
 follow (!)

you don't have to BE MAD   | this space    | my brother wanted to join mensa,
  to work, but   IT HELPS  |   for rent    | for an ego trip - and get kicked
 you feel better!  I AM    | can pay cash  | out for a even bigger one.