Re: Updated SELinux Release

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:40:41 -0500, Andres Salomon <dilinger@voxel.net> said:

> Manoj, if you're referring to our conversation earlier on IRC, I
> said that I have no personal interest in selinux, but I had no
> problems with it being included as long as it's not a significant
> performance hit.  I requested that you take it up on the
> debian-kernel list, though.  That request still stands; the kernel
> team is not a single person, nor is it comprised an IRC channel.

	I've had other conversations about this. And, incidentally, if
 SELinux is compiled, but not enabled, there is _no_ perceptible hit,
 significant or otherwise.

> I assume you're referring to #249510, in which Christoph mentioned
> it was a 5% performance penalty.  That's significant, especially for
> people who don't care about selinux.  Your argument of "well it's
> not 20%, is it?" is bogus; throwing features into the kernel, each
> having a 5% performance penalty hit, quickly add up.

	Before this gets out of hand, the 5-7% performance hit is for
 SELinux being enabled; merely compiling it in, and having the
 default setting being that SELinux is disabled at boot time unless
 selinux=1 is given on the kernel command line means there is _no_
 performance hit of that magnitude.

	All you have is LSM, at that point, and the number  quoted
 were for SELinux enabled kernels, not justr kernels with LSM.

	Now, I am not proposing we enable SELinux with a tergeted
 policy (which would incur the 5-7% hit) -- I am merely asking the
 SELinux option be compiled in for Sarge.

	manoj
--
GOOD-NIGHT, everybody ... Now I have to go administer FIRST-AID to my
pet LEISURE SUIT!!