Re: Comparing FHS 2.3 and 2.1

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 09:46:47PM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > Speaking of which: there used to be some proposed addition to FHS about
> > re-locating all dot-files into ~/etc or some directory like that. Does
> > anybody know what happened to that? I'm aware of the problems (sharing
> > $HOME over several different machines etc.), but but I'll be glad if the
> > mess were out of $HOME.
> I think there is little hope here.
> There are too many apps out that treat home directory as a wastebasket, and
> probably Linux/Unix itself will be obsoleted faster than all those.

Most applications can be patched to use another directory for their cruft.
It's just the "legal" sutff I'm currently interested in, as as soon as it
is "recommended" by FHS, it can become a part of e.g. Debian Policy and
get enforced by patches.

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org