Re: Drop testing

On 25 Oct 2004 13:05:51 -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> said:

> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
>> * One of Testing's goals was to be 95% releasable at all times.
>> * It hasn't been.
>> * Why not?
>> (a) RC bugs
>> (b) Can't install it
>> (c) Security vulnerabilities

> This is the crux of the problem, I think, but I'm a little confused.

> How does (a) contribute to this?  The assumption behind an RC bug is
> "we can't release with this bug unfixed".  But the problem is that,
> of course, we *do*, and we *have*, because many RC bugs are in
> things we have already released.  In other words, woody has RC bugs
> in it Right Now.  But that doesn't stop us from continuing to call
> it stable.

	Did we know it was a RC bug when we released it? I think
 not. We do not live in a environment where we have perfect
 information,  so we do the best we can. However, if we let known RC
 bugs slide, the resulting release would be far worse -- since now ew
 have bugs we do not know about at the point of release, and bugs that
 we did, and let slide.

> So the RC bugs should not be blocking release unless they are *new*

	No. If they are release critical, they are critical -- and
 they block the release. Anything else impacts the quality of
 distribution and starts a slippery slope towards mediocrity.

	We have already blown it as a distribution with cutting edge
 releases -- our reputation rests on quality, and r0ock solid
 stability.

> RC bugs which don't already exist.  In other words, a new stable
> release shouldn't be worse, but it doesn't have to be maximally
> better.  It shouldn't have new RC bugs, but it's tolerable if it
> continues to have the same old ones.

	I vehemently disagree. We are not people who have found common
 cause to only slowly deteriorate towards mediocrity; we are folks who
 are trying to put together the best possible distribution of Linux.

	If people want a good enough distribution, they can try
 mandrake or red hat.

	manoj
--
Mount St. Helens should have used earth control.