Re: Drop testing

#include <hallo.h>
* Nikita V. Youshchenko [Sun, Oct 24 2004, 03:53:23PM]:
> > #include <hallo.h>
>
> IMHO it's somewhat silly to "stop the experiment now" and drop testing.
> Although there are problems with testing, there *are* well-known positives
> of having it.

All the known positives are outweighted by the negative issues as
described before.

> Yes, there are problems with current scheme. So one should write down the
> facts and do a careful, in-detail, emotion-less analysis of each problem
> and it's reasons. One such analysis is done and made public, most likely a
> solution will be found that is much less radical than killing everything,
> and still eliminate the problems, or make the problems smaller.
>
> Unless such analysis is done, almost any discussion of this topic is
> pointless. Period.

A-Ha. How long does Testing exists? And why did nobody write this paper
in the meantime? Why do you not try to do so? I describe the facts. Not
some imaginary proof that will never see the daylight. Period.

> But such analysis should be done *after* *sarge* *release*. Flaming now will
> only postpone the release and do nothing more.

As described before, it is too late to stop this discussion.

> Probably there are non-technical problems with the uncoming release. But

There are, as described before. For example, I cannot see any life sign
of our FTP masters. How comes?

> of each mail in this thread a single RC bug that affects sarge was fixed,
> probably there could be *zero* such bugs now.

If we would fix the bugs in the distribution that is to be released,
there would be *zero* now. But many maintainers simply do not care much
about testing, Unstable runs fine for them. That is why a refered Joel
on Software, RTF paper. Please.

Regards,
Eduard.
--