Re: Reproducible, precompiled .o files: what say policy+gpl?

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:40:31 +0200, Wesley W Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca> said:

> On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 12:27:25PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>> Wesley W. Terpstra dijo [Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:59:36PM +0200]:
>> > At this point my question is only academic; the pure-gcc in main,
>> > icc-prebuilt in contrib solution seems to solve my concerns just
>> > as well.
>>
>> I have only one concern with this: What happens if you drop the
>> package and someone else takes it? He will no longer be able to
>> compile it with icc, and the icc-prebuilt users will be left out in
>> the cold. What would you say to that?

> He can upload a version to contrib which depends on the version in
> main and has no contents. Then the icc users are automatically
> converted to gcc.

	Why not go the contrib route to start with, and avoid these
 potential surprises?

> Or else, if he is an open-source developer who makes no money from
> his debian work, he can download icc from their site for free.  Just
> universities and paid researchers like me have to pay. Sniff.

	Just because I make not money from Debian does not mean I am
 willing to sell out to non-free software.  There _is_ a principle
 involved here, you know.

	manoj
--
Houston, Tranquillity Base here.  The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong