Re: Ubuntu discussion at planet.debian.org

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 06:54:17 +0200, Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> said:

>>> Before "testing", the RM used to freeze unstable and people were
>>> working on fixing bugs. There were pretest cycles with bug
>>> horizons,
>>
>> Not true. People were mostly twiddling their thumbs. Only a small
>> subset of people can actually help in fixing RC bugs.

> Are you talking about skills?

	Yes.  Recently, I tried fixing a selinux issue with
 dhcp3-client (closing file handles before forking). I spent a half
 day on it (usually enough for me to clean up a couple of packages I
 maintain and am familiar with). At the end of that time, I was still
 floundering around in the class and directory structure of dhcp3 I
 think it would take a couple of days to really come up to speed on a
 package like that). In the end, I just brought the issue to the
 attention of the maintainers, and left it at that.

	Now, I have time to maintain my own packages (barely), but not
 enough to spend a few days on an one-off effort to fix a bug.  So I
 _can_ help improve Debian -- but only in small areas where I have
 already gained some expertise.

>>> and freezes were shorter.  Of course, without "testing",
>>> synchronizing arches was a pain, that's why I'd say let's combine
>>> both.
>>
>>> Instead of always telling than a given idea won't work, let's try
>>> it and conclude afterwards.
>>
>> We have tried the whole freezing route. But feel free to try it out
>> (like aj did Testing), and tell us how it would have worked.

> The difference is that I don't want to throw Testing out.

	Quite. But you have not mentioned how you are going to
 ameliorate the effect of closing down all development for a few
 months by shutting down unstable.

	manoj
--
A penny saved has not been spent.