Re: an idea for next generation APT archive caching

also sprach Tobias Hertkorn <t.hertkorn@gmx.de> [2004.10.20.1449 +0200]:
> As a part of speeding up delivery, I programmed an apache module called
> mirror_mod.
> For documentation look here:
> http://hacktor.fs.uni-bayreuth.de/apt-got/docs/mod_mirror.html

Interesting! Though I am not sure this would solve my problem...

also sprach Brian May <bam@debian.org> [2004.10.21.0504 +0200]:
> I have looked at (and flamed) apt-proxy in particular, but
> I suspect at least some of the issues here might also be relevant
> to other caching packages.
>
> If you want a reliable caching service, I think some thought needs
> to be put into some of the issues above. Some issues might be easy
> to fix, others might be harder (e.g. minimizing latency so the
> client doesn't time out and to minimize download time but choosing
> the best server at the same time).

I realise, and I don't want to bash apt-proxy for being ambitious!

However, I am a big friend of simple solutions, and what I have in
mind just sounds like it's a whole lot easier than a separate
daemon. Simplicity -> robustness, that is all...

also sprach Jonathan Oxer <jon@ivt.com.au> [2004.10.21.0617 +0200]:
> So it's necessary to keep fetching the Packages files within their
> expiry time or the cache gets nuked.

Why delete them at all?

Also, if there is no Packages file, then the deletion should not
proceed.

`. `'`