Re: an idea for next generation APT archive caching

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 12.11, martin f krafft wrote:

> 2. apt-cacher:
>   Also a very nice concept, I have found it rather unusable. Clients
>   would time out as the streaming does not work reliably. Also,
>   after using it for a day or two, I found 30 or more Perl zombies
>   on the system from the CGI.

With current apt-cacher from testing, on {apche,perl,libc6}/testing, I can't
confirm this.  apt-cacher works very reliable for me.

The only thinkg I'd like is to have apt-cacher appear as 'native' Debian
repository instead of needing to specify the full URL of the mirror
(reason: so I can switch the mirror to be used from the apt-cacher config
without the need to modify all the sources.lists.)

>   Here too, it is not possible to browse the repository.

Hasn't bothered me so far.

But your approach of catching apache's 404 certainly sounds interesting, and
would be extremely lightweight in the case of cache hits.  Just be sure to
relay 'real' 404s properly.

cheers
-- vbi

--