Re: forwarding bugs to other packages

    Joel> It strikes me that this problem is actually similar to a
    Joel> couple of others, and all of them could be reasonably
    Joel> resolved by a new concept in the BTS - bug dependancies.

    Joel> All it really says is "Some part of this bug depends on some
    Joel> part of bug #XXXXXX" - maybe you think the segfault is
    Joel> actually from a library and so you have no intention of
    Joel> trying to fix it until the library bug is fixed (at which
    Joel> point, you might well change your Depends entry versioning
    Joel> for the library, etc).

Sounds good to me.

    Joel> Or maybe there's a feature request you're happy to add, but
    Joel> need to have another package support first (say, maybe
    Joel> you're adding alternatives to a variety of things, and they
    Joel> all need to update to provide it at roughly the same time,
    Joel> with versioned conflicts, to be happy).

Been there, done that ;-).

For example, implementing update-alternatives. It must be done in all
packages, and isn't really complete until every package is
changed. Just because one package

    Joel> It would also presumably allow you to add a filter such as
    Joel> "don't display any bug with a dependancy on any other
    Joel> still-open bug"; thus allowing maintainers to have things
    Joel> "automagically" show up again once the bug they're waiting
    Joel> on has been resolved.

If you do this, different types of dependancies (or relationships)
might be desirable. eg:

bug x is bug y -- declaration that both bugs are the same, once y is
                  fixed x needs to be rechecked but is most likely
                  fixed.

bug x depends bug y -- y must be fixed before work on x can
                        continue. Closing y doesn't mean x is fixed.

bug x suggests bug y -- y might be a possible solution to this
                        bug. Other solutions/workarounds may also be
                        possible. Closing y means x is probably fixed
                        but needs testing.

If more thought was put into this, I am sure we could come up with
something better.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>