Re: forwarding bugs to other packages

    Bernd> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 05:54:44PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
    >> I could just close the bug against my package, but this means other
    >> people will encounter the same problem and report the bug against my
    >> package again (as it isn't always obvious that it isn't the fault of
    >> my package).

    Bernd> So you do not want to reassign them to the correct package?
    Bernd> I dont think thats a good idea (even when i can understand
    Bernd> where are you coming from).

Like I said in my previous post, there are times when having 2
separate bug reports is a good idea.

e.g. you might think a reported bug in your package is due to a bug in
a library, so you reassign the bug report to the library.

The library maintainer decides it isn't a bug in the library, and
prematurely closes the bug report. Or maybe the library maintainer
finds a bug, and fixes it, but it was an unrelated bug.

You never get the indication that the bug report has been closed, and
the bug submitter gets totally confused and either doesn't follow up
(perhaps assuming the problem was fixed), or follows up to the wrong
person (as the bug is still assigned to the library). As such you
don't get a chance to followup and make sure the bug, initially
reported against your package, really gets fixed.

Alternatively, when you reassign the bug to the library, the library
maintainer gets fed up because he already has 10+ bug reports on the
same issue.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>