Re: about volatile.d.o/n

paddy <paddy@panici.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 10:42:58AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> I think those are arguments for making releases more quickly, rather
>> than anything else.
>
> I'm not sure about that, graphics hardware, for example, is far faster moving
> than stable.  And there are forces pulling both ways on the stable release
> cycle.

If we aimed at a new stable release about once a year (which obviously
requires providing support for more than one release at once, but
still), that would be much less of a problem.

> The kernel and X are both at least somewhat modular, how unrealistic
> is it to think in terms of backporting just the drivers ?  And would that
> be better?

Adding new drivers is usually fairly easy and probably wouldn't cause
any problems. Backporting more recent versions of existing drivers isn't
desperately hard, but newer drivers frequently cause regressions in
existing hardware support. Without going through a full release cycle,
it's difficult to track down whether or not something has broken.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org