Re: ITP: cddb.bundle -- CDDB Bundle for GNUstep

Frank Küster wrote:

> Jeff Teunissen <deek@d2dc.net> wrote:
>
> > Frank Küster wrote:
> >
> >> If I'm wrong, I apologize and will not object against cddb.bundle (at
> >> least not because of this. Still the ".bundle" part is meaningless to
> >> me, but that might be due to my bad english). If I am not wrong, and
> >> GNUstep applications are indeed not designed to be used without using
> >> the Desktop environment, then, please, add "gnustep-" to the name.
> >
> > Yes, you are _very_ clearly wrong. There is no GNUstep program that
> > requires the GNUstep Desktop, because there no GNUstep Desktop to
> > require!
>
> Okay, then I don't mind leaving gnustep out (I still wonder why you
> wouldn't cry "But I want gnustep in the name" for advertising
> reasons).

For me, I don't want GNUstep in the names of my programs because I am not
connected to GNUstep and don't want to be. It is just a couple of libraries
that I use to write my apps -- you wouldn't put "GTK+" in the name of your
apps, would you?

> I still wonder what "bundle" could mean...

At its most basic, a "bundle" is a directory with a certain structure.
An .app is a bundle, as are an .rtfd document and a .framework library.

An app is a bundle that contains an application (complete with its
resources, like images, property list files, text data used by the app,
etc.).

An RTFD is a compound-document bundle containing an RTF file and usually
some image files.

A Framework is a bundle containing a special shlib, headers, and resources
(executables, images, etc.)

In this case, CDDB.bundle is just your basic "loadable bundle", containing
code and/or resources that can be loaded into an app using the NSBundle
interface. This one provides code in the form of a class to query a cddb
server.

By the way, .prefs modules (used by Preferences, preferences.app in Debian
and one of my apps) are bundles too.