Re: ITP: cddb.bundle -- CDDB Bundle for GNUstep

Frank Küster wrote:

> Graham Wilson <bob@decoy.wox.org> schrieb:

> >> I don't mind what it's called as long as I can see by its name that
> >> it is useless without gnustep. In other words: There has to be the
> >> string "gnustep" in its name, preferably at the beginning.
> >
> > What about nautlius? evolution? epiphany? Do they have to have to
> > start with gnome-, so that I know there useless without GNOME
> > installed? Are they really useless without a complete GNOME
> > environment installed?
>
> I never used nautilus or epiphany. I used evolution (in woody), but
> dropped it because it didn't seem to behave deterministic...
>
> Anyway, I think it depends on what one means with "GNOME installed". I
> don't mind having some libraries for Gnome around (actually I use
> gnumeric), but for sure I do not want the Gnome desktop.
>
> But if I remember correctly, GNUstep applications do not just work if
> X11 and some basic library is installed, but need the GNUstep desktop to
> be installed. With Gnome and KDE, I had the impression that it was
> intended that all applications are usable even without using the Desktop
> environment - although of course they might work and interact nicer in
> their "native" environment. With GNUstep, it seemed to me that it was
> not intended to run applications without the Desktop
> environment. Comparable to WindowMaker Dock applications, which probably
> will not run under any other windowmanager.
>
> If I'm wrong, I apologize and will not object against cddb.bundle (at
> least not because of this. Still the ".bundle" part is meaningless to
> me, but that might be due to my bad english). If I am not wrong, and
> GNUstep applications are indeed not designed to be used without using
> the Desktop environment, then, please, add "gnustep-" to the name.

Yes, you are _very_ clearly wrong. There is no GNUstep program that requires
the GNUstep Desktop, because there no GNUstep Desktop to require!

>From the user's perspective, GNUstep is basically a set of libs and some
directory hierarchy imposed by the requirements of the specifications
GNUstep implements. That's it. The libs provide a pretty
platform-independant library of non-GUI classes, and a fairly-well-working
library of GUI classes that is partially window-system independant (i.e. the
only GUI backends that work completely are for X, but there's one for
Windows GDI that isn't too evil).

GNUstep does not form a desktop environment, and it doesn't even claim to.