Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

* Thiemo Seufer:

> How could clamav possibly have a stable engine and suddenly start to
> need libfoo?

Most antivirus software today is a framework for mobile code
distribution.  Too often, you have to replace MIME decoders, HTTP
decoders, and the like.

I find it rather strange that new dependencies are suddenly
introduced.  I'd rather think that upstream no longer supports the
version in sarge some time after sarge is released, and the newest
upstream version might have different dependencies.

We have the same problem with Mozilla (it's actually worse because
other packages depend on Mozilla internals).