Re: XDM, GDM, KDM, WDM shootout :-)

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 02:35:08AM -0500, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:11:32AM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> -snip-
> > * KDM: Good but why strange startup?
> >
> >   Its start up script does not call /etc/X11/Xsession nor bother to use
> >   /etc/X11/Xsession.d/.  Thus out of lack with ssh-agent. (Bug #265865)
>
> This was fixed with kdebase 3.3.0a-1 upload which be in sid after
> dinstall today. It had worked prior to the original KDE 3.3.0 upload but
> I accidentally dropped a patch which I have readded.

OK, then I am very happy.  I will wait since it has not hit my mirror.

> >   Custom mode should run ~/.xsession.
>
> 'custom' does nothing now, I should look into how to remove the option.
> 'default' mode runs ~/.Xsession as it should.
>
> >   Default is always KDE.
>
> 'default' now works properly since I fixed the Xsession file to use the
> Debian /etc/X11/Xsession file.

Sure.  Anyway it was bad timing to test KDM.

Does KDM/KDE has special way to add some start up script.  I am not just
talkinh xeyes but more serious keyboard related programs needed for special
CJK needs.   Is there any consorted effort to have shared script between
different DM and different WM so I do not need to add them to all
desktop specific startup scripts.

I currently use home brew script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ which read
~/.i18n and source it.  So far it worked with all (but buggy version of
KDM).  I expect it to work next version of KDM.

----------------------------------
# /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80xfree86-common_i18n
# source ~/.i18n for internationalization of X

I18NRC=$HOME/.i18n
if grep -qs ^allow-i18n "$OPTIONFILE"; then
  if [ -r "$I18NRC" ]; then
    if [ -x "$I18NRC" ]; then
      "$I18NRC"
     else