Re: don't close bugs without an explanation!

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:22:38AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 04:40:06PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > >
> > > No, this is wrong too.  Uploads that don't actually change anything in the
> > > package, just to have something in the changelog, are wrong as well.
> >
> > I disagree.  Documenting the changes made to a package is a very
> > important part of an upload.
>
> Fix the changelog in your local tree so that it properly documents the
> real history of the package, but there's no need to upload until
> something more important comes up.

So then the bug submitters never see the real reason the bug was closed,
apt-listchanges (presumably) suppresses the additions to the old
changelog entry so that anyone with the package installed never sees the
real entries...  Plus, any maintainer clueless enough to write awful
changelog entries is very likely a negligent maintainer, and thus highly
unlikely to make an upload to fix "something more important" for many
months.  Why is this an OK situation?  Is this to work around gimped
architectures with broken autobuilders?

--
Blast you and your estrogenical treachery!