Re: don't close bugs without an explanation!

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 06:43:21PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:22:38AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> > > I disagree.  Documenting the changes made to a package is a very
> > > important part of an upload.
> >
> > Fix the changelog in your local tree so that it properly documents the
> > real history of the package, but there's no need to upload until
> > something more important comes up.

> So then the bug submitters never see the real reason the bug was closed,
> apt-listchanges (presumably) suppresses the additions to the old
> changelog entry so that anyone with the package installed never sees the
> real entries...  Plus, any maintainer clueless enough to write awful
> changelog entries is very likely a negligent maintainer, and thus highly
> unlikely to make an upload to fix "something more important" for many
> months.  Why is this an OK situation?  Is this to work around gimped
> architectures with broken autobuilders?

The purpose of fixing the changelog is to *fix the changelog*, not to
notify the bug submitter for the reason for the closure.

The submitters should be notified of the reason for the closure
manually, by emailing -submitter.  The maintainer has already screwed up
the use of the changelog bug-closing convenience; uploading another
package for no other reason than to be able to use this convenience
again is horribly broken.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer