Re: XDM, GDM, KDM, WDM shootout :-)

Noah Meyerhans wrote:

 On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:11:32AM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> * General It looks like auto listing of available WM are tricky.
> Despite some glitches I saw, it was usable. I think if there is a
> standard way to list available session manager / display manager,
> it can be better, I think.

 I'm the wdm maintainer. I use the alternatives system to figure out
 what window managers and session managers are available. IMO, if a
 window manager is useless on its own, then it should not provide an
 option for the x-window-manager alternative.

From a relative newbie point of view, wdm is the one I finally settled on, even though I run predominantly gnome apps.
The recent gdm/locales/console mess I simply didn't need.
I find wdm is as functional as I need it to be and stable, more attractive to the eye than xdm, and without any gaudy overkill to take up space.
I don't use KDE so haven't used kdm.
Regards,

David.