Re: RFD: use transient /var/run (tmpfs) or not?

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 12:12:02PM +0200,
 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk> wrote
 a message of 59 lines which said:

> I would like to know your opinion about this issue. Should debian
> packages using subdirectories in /var/run/ check for their existence
> and create them on startup, if they do not exist?
>
> Imho they should.

The big problem is with programs that do not run as root (/var/run is
0755).

Creating a subdirectory with appropriate owner and permissions in
postinst is both secure and convenient (see
/var/run/postgresql).

Running as root at startup is neither secure nor convenient.