Small problems with Sarge net-install

I have used the Sarge net-install CD to build several machines and I'm pretty impressed. I have one problem that I will state now and a couple of recommendations.

I was building a cluster node and did not want a /home directory (mounted from the head node via automount). During the base-config, I chose a root password but chose not to make a normal user account. As a result, I believe I was unable to choose either shadowed passwords or md5 hashing. shadowing is easily turned on, but I'm not sure how to turn on md5. Any insight?

My recommendations are:

1. libc6-dev should be part of the standard installation. It includes all of the standard header files (stdio.h, for example).
2. ssh should also be part of any installation.

Art Edwards