Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 11:49:38PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 20 septembre 2004 à 13:52 -0700, Adam McKenna a écrit :
> > > However misconfigurations are quite frequent. I've seen numerous mails
> > > been dropped, re-encoded, or delayed because of them.
> >
> > I've seen numerous problems and delays with mail that were caused by
> > problems with the recipient's ISP, and blamed on the sender's ISP.
>
> Oh, you're right. The ISPs' SMTPs are not to blame, but the ISPs' are.
> Hubba hubba zoot zoot.

Yes, there are a few big ISP's such as AOL that frequently have problems
with their mail servers, and it's not uncommon to have problems when sending
mail to (and from) those domains.  Those problems are often misinterpreted
as problems with the sender's mail server.  This is not conjecture, it is
my experience.

> Strange to see that I have encountered exactly zero such issues since
> I've been receiving and sending all my mail directly and not through a
> provider.

Zero issues, that is, except for all those pesky hosts refusing your
SMTP connections because you're sending from a dynamic IP?

You'll have more luck complaning to your provider if their mail server sucks
than to try to convince people to stop using DUL's.  The reason is that for
every polite, geek-managed mail server on a dynamic IP there are 999
spambots.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>