Re: Announcing Ubuntu 4.10 Preview

begin  Matt Zimmerman <mdz@canonical.com> dedi ki:
 --8<--

>     * GNOME 2.8
>             Ubuntu is the first distribution to ship Gnome 2.8, on the day
> of its release - be the first on your street to try it out!

First of all, sorry for posting this here instead of ubuntu-users, as I
didn't want to subscribe for a one-shot post.

Surfing around in Ubuntu web site and in ubuntu-users archive I have
learned that Ubuntu is mainly a Gnome-centric distro, with KDE being
installable over the Net if it's added to sources.list.

I was in search of some Debian based end-user oriented distro, that meets
Debian base and philosophy with Mandrake end-user polish, to switch my
users and friends away from Mandrake. Ubuntu seemed very promising, but
unfortunately I won't be trying Ubuntu to find it out. This is because all
my users and friends use KDE, and it's simply impossible to switch them to
Gnome. They're all newbies from Windows world and KDE is the only option
for them. Or, they will abandon using Linux altogether. Gnome libraries
are only needed to run certain Gnome apps, and installing the whole KDE
over a modem link is not always feasible.

I'm sorry to say it, but no KDE on CD, no Ubuntu for my users.

I wish best luck to Ubuntu. And I hope one day it will carry KDE and
related apps on the CD.
--
Abdullah        | aramazan@ |
Ramazanoglu     | myrealbox |