Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

This one time, at band camp, Noah Meyerhans said:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 10:36:13PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > I kind of think the upload is already the 'signing off' (why would you
> > upload something you didn't think would work? - not that it doesn't
> > happen, but you see my point), but I tend to agree here - a higher
> > standard should be enforced.  I am not sure how to enforce this without
> > making a lot more work for the RM's, though.
>
> I'm not saying that you're signing off on the claim that *your* package
> will work.  I'm saying that your upload won't break other packages that
> *depend* on your package.  Or, in the event that you do break
> compatibility with the old version, you've worked with the maintainers
> of whichever packages depend on your to insure that they will also make
> updates to their packages to maintain compatibility.

Gotcha.  That makes sense.  Similar to what you're saying below, IOW.

> > I like it.  I think making the dependencies go into volatile won't work,
> > however - I am thinking of one of my packages here.  clamav-milter uses
> > libmilter - does this put all of sendmail into volatile?  Same source
> > package, after all.  And at the lower level, of course, there's libc
> > :)  Or am I missing something, and you mean 'dependencies' not in
> > the packaging sense, but in the databases used for those programs or
> > something?
>
> You're thinking about it the other way around.  ClamAV depends on
> milter.  A change in ClamAV doesn't necessitate a change in milter.
> OTOH, if some package out the depends on ClamAV, then you'll need to do
> work to make sure that package will continue to work.  Since that
> package may need an update to match some change in ClamAV, that package
> must also go into the volatile section.  It's similar to e.g. the
> contrib section in that regard.  Any packages that itself depends on a
> package in contrib must also go in contrib.
>
> I hope that clarifies things a bit for you.  8^)

Yes - I seem to have read all the dependencies in your proposal
backwards :)  Better now, and I agree.
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |