Re: the Packages files should get to mirrors last

Dan Jacobson wrote:
> On the Debian mirrors, each day there is a period, perhaps a few
> hours, between the time the Packages files arrive, and the time
> packages themselves arrive.

i have not followed this thread too closely, so i apologise if this was
covered already.

even putting the Packages file in last can be problematic, depending
upon the timing of the removal of outdated packages.

consider this timeline:

user requests Package file
system gets new Package file as Package.new
system parses Package.new and purges
user requests what he thinks is a valid package, but it has been purged
system gets new packages
system moves Package.new to Package

this is what i propose:

1) purge all outdated packages (not referenced in Packages)
2) get new Packages file, and store in a safe place (Packages.new)
3) parse, and download new packages
4) move Packages.new to Packages

it will cause the archive to be a bit bigger for 24hours, but it also
ensures that a Packages file is good for 24hours, no matter when you get
it.

thoughts?

--
John H. Robinson, IV          jaqque@debian.org