Re: Nice ideas about a bug tracking system

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 08:41:20PM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Ideally I would be able to do a full text query (regexp?) on *all* the
> bugs.  I don't know if Debian will be able to provide this in the near
> future.  I have my doubts about how well FogBUGZ's inquiries would scale
> to 100000 bugs.

With several GB of bugs data (rough estimate 5-6GB of text in all bugs),
this is a 'challenge'. Not undoable (google does it with much more
data), but not trivial. I'm currently (privately) able to search in
from: and subject: of any messages in the BTS (due to database tables
indexing meta-data of all bugs), but unless I specify a limited
data-range or another indexed key (like, source package, or limiting to
RC severities), a query can take minutes (if the actual limiting on
subject and from isn't indexable, i.e., isn't rooted at the begin of the
string (regex-speak: regex doesn't start with '^')).

I plan to once try a database's fulltext indexing capabilities, but
didn't get around to that idea yet.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar