Re: Use of automake & friends vs. just running configure

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 08:25:26PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> > Instead they are confused and upset by cryptical errors of autotools,
> > when new versions are not backcompatible as often (if not always)
> >
> Which recent (let's say the last 5 years) versions haven't been
> backwards compatible?  If you've got an example, I'd like to see it so
> we can get a test case and fix that bug.

Keep any decently complicated program which uses scripts generated with
autoconf 2.13 and try to use a new autoconf instead. You could also
say that it's an ancient version, but there are a lot of programs
which uses yet that version. Indeed we have an autoconf2.13 pkg for
that reason.

Now think to the poor Joe who needs to build
one of that good old programs on Solaris for instance
(we are not talking of Debian necessarily) and does not know anything
of autoconf and all the damn versions around. He has also to
install autoconf just because that stupid program (configure)
pretends so...

Anyway this is a vexata questio since years, I'm constantly annoyed
of listen to opposite ideas about. As an upstream I work as I prefer
and many people do the same. Others do differently. We are in a free
world.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine